The building, which has a 15th century undercroft, was completed in the late 19th century. It became the headquarters of the 2nd East Anglian Field Ambulance Royal Army Medical Corps and, probably, of the 1st Volunteer Battalion, the Norfolk Regiment as well around that time. The 1st Volunteer Battalion, the Norfolk Regiment, who simply gave their address as "St Giles" (the road behind is St Giles Street), evolved to become the 4th Battalion, the Norfolk Regiment in 1908. The battalion was mobilised at St Giles before being deployed to Gallipoli and then to Egypt and Palestine. The battalion then moved to the Chapel Field Road drill hall (since demolished) later in the war. The Bethel Street properties were subsequently decommissioned and the premises at the front are now used as commercial offices by the Greenhouse Trust.