Location of the municipality and town of Barbosa, Santander in the Santander Department of Colombia.
|• Density||450/km2 (1,200/sq mi)|
|Colombia Standard Time (|
Called by the natives of the region as "The Golden Gate of Santander", being the second Santander municipality by the southern entrance of the department.
Founding Date: May 24, 1539
Founder's name: Heliodoro Barbosa
Barbosa called "Puerta de oro de Santander", its privileged geographical location, its colorful valley on the banks of the Suarez River, has allowed it to become the nerve center of an extensive region and the roads that converge in it have made it an obligatory one of the most powerful municipalities in the department.
His first embryo was the Center populated of Cite, today its corregimiento, founded by Martín Galeano the 24 of May 1539 (it is considered the first population founded in the department of Santander since Vélez was founded on July 3, 1539) and for many years it held the category of municipality, he first came to the legal life on October 1, 1939 precisely as a corregimiento attached to Our Lady of Cite, but its unusual development, especially caused by its rapid growth of business led to the Assembly of the department to approve ordinance No. 42 of June 21, 1940, turning it into a municipal seat.
Its name is a tribute to the Spanish general Heliodoro Barbosa, who fought relentlessly against the Ubazas Indians, settlers of the region and who are said to be the most accurate macana archery marksmen.