Bar-le-Duc

Bar-le-Duc
Clock tower
Clock tower
Coat of arms of Bar-le-Duc
Coat of arms
Location of Bar-le-Duc
Bar-le-Duc is located in France
Bar-le-Duc
Bar-le-Duc
Bar-le-Duc is located in Grand Est
Bar-le-Duc
Bar-le-Duc
Coordinates: 48°46′19″N 5°09′37″E / 48°46′19″N 5°09′37″E / 48.7719; 05.1603UTC+02:00 (CEST)
55029 /55000
Elevation175–327 m (574–1,073 ft)
(avg. 240 m or 790 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Bar-le-Duc (French pronunciation: ​[baʁ lə dyk]), formerly known as Bar, is a commune in the Meuse département, of which it is the capital. The department is in Grand Est in northeastern France.

The lower, more modern and busier part of the town extends along a narrow valley, shut in by wooded or vine-clad hills, and is traversed throughout its length by the Ornain, which is crossed by several bridges. It is limited towards the north-east by the Marne–Rhine Canal, on the south-west by a small arm of the Ornain, called the Canal des Usines, on the left bank of which the upper town (Ville Haute) is situated.[1]

The highly rarefied Bar-le-duc jelly, also known as Lorraine jelly, is a spreadable preparation of white currant or red currant fruit preserves, hailing from this town. First referenced in the historical record in 1344, it is also colloquially referred to as "Bar caviar".

History

Bar-le-Duc was at one time the seat of the county, from 1354 the Duchy of Bar. Though probably of ancient origin, the town was unimportant until the 10th century when it was fortified by Frederick I of Upper Lorraine.[1] Bar was an independent duchy from 1354 to 1480, when it was acquired by Duchy of Lorraine.

The Ville Haute, which is reached by staircases and steep narrow thoroughfares, is intersected by a long, quiet street, bordered by houses of the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries. In this quarter are the remains (16th-century) of the château of the dukes of Bar, dismantled in 1670, the old clock-tower, and the college, built in the latter half of the 16th century. Its church of Saint-Étienne (constructed during the 14th and 15th centuries) contains the Cadaver Tomb of René of Chalon, a skillfully carved effigy in white stone of a half-decayed corpse. It was erected to the memory of René of Châlon (died 1544), and is the work of 16th-century artist Ligier Richier, a pupil of Michelangelo.[1]

The lower town contains the official buildings and the churches of Notre-Dame, the most ancient in the town, and St. Antony, with 14th-century frescoes. Among the statues of distinguished natives of the town is one of Nicolas Oudinot, whose house serves as the hôtel-de-ville.[1] Other sights include the Notre-Dame Bridge, with five arches surmounted by a chapel in the middle.

Bar-le-Duc served as the assembly point for essential supplies going to the besieged city of Verdun during the Battle of Verdun in 1916. Thousands of trucks, carrying men, equipment and food, traveled north, around the clock, on the road linking Bar-le-Duc to Verdun. The route was given the name Voie Sacrée, which translates to Sacred Way, by the writer and politician Maurice Barres in April 1916, a reference to the ancient Roman Sacra Via, leading to triumph.

Historical population
YearPop.±%
17939,111—    
18008,961−1.6%
18069,970+11.3%
182111,432+14.7%
183112,496+9.3%
183612,383−0.9%
184112,526+1.2%
184613,191+5.3%
185114,816+12.3%
185613,835−6.6%
186114,922+7.9%
186615,334+2.8%
187215,175−1.0%
187616,728+10.2%
188117,485+4.5%
188618,860+7.9%
189118,761−0.5%
189618,249−2.7%
190117,693−3.0%
190617,307−2.2%
191117,068−1.4%
192116,261−4.7%
192616,365+0.6%
193116,550+1.1%
193616,697+0.9%
194615,460−7.4%
195416,609+7.4%
196218,346+10.5%
196819,159+4.4%
197519,288+0.7%
198218,471−4.2%
199017,545−5.0%
199916,944−3.4%
200616,041−5.3%
200915,895−0.9%
Other Languages
Afrikaans: Bar-le-Duc
العربية: بار لو دوك
تۆرکجه: بار-لو-دوک
Bân-lâm-gú: Bar-le-Duc
brezhoneg: Bar-le-Duc
català: Bar-le-Duc
Cebuano: Bar-le-Duc
čeština: Bar-le-Duc
Cymraeg: Bar-le-Duc
dansk: Bar-le-Duc
Deutsch: Bar-le-Duc
español: Bar-le-Duc
Esperanto: Bar-le-Duc
euskara: Bar-le-Duc
فارسی: بار-لو-دوک
français: Bar-le-Duc
galego: Bar-le-Duc
한국어: 바르르뒤크
italiano: Bar-le-Duc
עברית: בר-לה-דוק
қазақша: Бар-ле-Дюк
Latina: Barrum
Lëtzebuergesch: Bar-le-Duc
magyar: Bar-le-Duc
Malagasy: Bar-le-Duc
Bahasa Melayu: Bar-le-Duc
norsk: Bar-le-Duc
norsk nynorsk: Bar-le-Duc
occitan: Bar-le-Duc
oʻzbekcha/ўзбекча: Bar-le-Duc (Meuse)
Piemontèis: Bar-le-Duc
polski: Bar-le-Duc
português: Bar-le-Duc
română: Bar-le-Duc
русский: Бар-ле-Дюк
Scots: Bar-le-Duc
Seeltersk: Bar-le-Duc
shqip: Bar-le-Duc
Simple English: Bar-le-Duc
slovenčina: Bar-le-Duc
slovenščina: Bar-le-Duc
српски / srpski: Бар ле Дик
srpskohrvatski / српскохрватски: Bar-le-Duc
suomi: Bar-le-Duc
svenska: Bar-le-Duc
Türkçe: Bar-le-Duc
українська: Бар-ле-Дюк
Tiếng Việt: Bar-le-Duc
Volapük: Bar-le-Duc
Winaray: Bar-le-Duc
中文: 巴勒迪克