From today's featured article
Suillus spraguei, the painted suillus, is a species of fungus in the family Suillaceae. Its readily identifiable fruit bodies have caps that are dark red when fresh, dry to the touch, and covered with mats of hairs and scales that are separated by yellow cracks. On the underside of the cap are small, yellow, angular pores that become brownish as the mushroom ages. The stalk bears a grayish cottony ring, and is typically covered with soft hairs or scales. S. spraguei grows in symbiosis with roots of several pine species, particularly the eastern white pine. The fruit body grows on the ground, appearing from early summer to autumn. It is found in eastern Asia, northeastern North America, and Mexico throughout the range of the host tree. The mushroom is edible, although opinions about its quality vary. It bears a resemblance to several other Suillus species, including the closely related S. decipiens, although the species can be differentiated by variations in color and size. (Full article...)
Did you know...
Alchon king with elongated skull
- ... that the kings of the Alchon Huns practiced artificial cranial deformation (pictured) to elongate their skulls?
- ... that one side of Euston Square may have "tried to bury the murderous memories attached thereto" by changing its name to Endsleigh Gardens?
- ... that Hilmar Hoffmann, who wanted "culture for all", initiated a 15-museum complex in Frankfurt, including the first independent Jewish museum in postwar Germany?
- ... that in May 2018, the 8,000th animal was photographed for The Photo Ark project, which aims to document all 12,000 species living in zoos and wildlife sanctuaries worldwide?
- ... that Marie-Guite Dufay was not elected president of the regional council of Bourgogne-Franche-Comté in the first round of voting, despite the left holding an absolute majority of seats?
- ... that in 1917, a soldier of Troop B, Washington Cavalry wrote home that France was a "strange but wonderful land"?
- ... that coached by Harendra Singh, India's field hockey teams won gold at the 2016 Men's Junior World Cup, gold at the 2017 Women's Asia Cup, and silver at the 2018 Men's Champions Trophy?
- ... that the Shadwell forgeries, crude 19th-century fake medieval artefacts, are now sought-after collectibles in their own right?
In the news
France national football team
On this day