From today's featured article
Did you know ...
Page from Bach's Credo
revised by C. P. E. Bach
- ... that musicologist Uwe Wolf conducted X-ray research to distinguish J. S. Bach's handwriting in the score of his Mass in B minor from changes made by his son, Carl Philipp Emanuel (revised page pictured)?
- ... that in 1939, alert workers at West Virginia radio station WBLK saved equipment from a devastating fire, and the station returned to the air within 45 minutes to report the blaze?
- ... that the diaries of James Humphreys, the "Emperor of Porn", were used to convict thirteen members of the Metropolitan Police Force of accepting his bribes?
- ... that Calvert Vaux Park, named after the landscape architect found dead in a nearby bay, is largely made of landfill from the construction of the Verrazzano Bridge?
- ... that Xie Gaohua established the Yiwu Market, which has grown into the world's largest small commodities market?
- ... that the last British troops left India in 1948, post independence, from the Gateway of India?
- ... that Order of Canada recipient Thelma Finlayson was Simon Fraser University's first professor emerita?
- ... that A. N. Wilson described Oxford's Clarendon Shopping Centre when it opened as "the most grotesquely horrible building I have ever seen"?
In the news
On this day