From today's featured article
Did you know...
In the news
Soyuz MS-10 launch
On this day
October 17: Dessalines Day in Haiti (1806)
Lake Burley Griffin, Canberra, Australia
- 1346 – King David II of Scotland, under the terms of the Auld Alliance with France, led an invasion of England during the Hundred Years' War, but was captured in the Battle of Neville's Cross.
- 1604 – German astronomer Johannes Kepler observed an exceptionally bright star, now known as Kepler's Supernova, which had suddenly appeared in the constellation Ophiuchus earlier in October.
- 1964 – Prime Minister of Australia Robert Menzies opened the artificial Lake Burley Griffin in the middle of the capital Canberra.
- 1992 – Having gone to the wrong house for a Halloween party, Japanese exchange student Yoshihiro Hattori was shot and killed by the homeowner in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.
- 2001 – Rehavam Ze'evi, the Israeli Minister of Tourism, was assassinated in revenge for the targeted killing of the PFLP leader Abu Ali Mustafa.
Edward Hawke, 1st Baron Hawke (d. 1781) · Childe Hassam (b. 1859) · Chuka Umunna (b. 1978)